Project SAGESSE – “Improving Governance in the Higher Education System in Tunisia” 2017-2019
The SAGESSE project “Improving Governance in the Higher Education System in Tunisia” is an initiative funded by the Erasmus+ programme – Capacity Building in the Higher Education Sector. Capacity building projects include transnational cooperation based on multilateral partnership made up of higher education institutions from countries participating in the Erasmus+ programme and eligible partner countries.
Role of the University of Rome “La Sapienza”:
The University of Rome “La Sapienza” will coordinate, together with the University of Tunis El Manar (UTM), the development of a quality manual on management procedures and the implementation of action plans with the aim to realise a development project concerning good governance at the international level (Work Lot No. 4)
The SAGESSE project started on the 15th of October 2017 and will come to an end on the 14th of October 2020.
For further information, visit the project website: http://www.sagesseproject.eu/.
The main aim of the SAGESSE project is to support the process of reform and modernisation undertaken by the Higher Education Institutes of Tunisia within the framework of post-revolution national developments, through the following objectives:
1) To improve governance mechanisms by providing operational support based on international best practices;
2) To support the formulation of new decisional and management procedures for the selection and training of internal/external higher education institutions personnel in charge of managing and controlling the processes;
3) To develop insurance and quality control systems within higher education institutions;
4) To boost knowledge and tools available to management, administrative and academic staff;
5) The creation – in every university of the consortium – of a digital administration area for an innovative, efficient and more autonomous financial management.
- Activities of research and analysis on good governance practices in Tunisia;
- Training seminars, study visits and exchange of good practices abroad for the training of administrative and executive staff;
- Elaboration of a quality manual on financial management procedures;
- Formulation – for each university of the consortium – of its own strategic project and the related action plans and offices creation for their implementation;
- Information sessions concerning good governance for the Tunisian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research and the Tunisian National Evaluation, Quality Control and Accreditation Institute;
- Drafting of a White Book of recommendations addressed to interest groups and national, regional and international political authorities.
- Increased skills of university executive and academic staff in the fields of governance and quality control;
- Increased skills of university administrative staff in the field of financial management;
- Creation of digital administration areas within the consortium’s universities;
- Greater awareness of the importance of improved governance by universities and policy makers;
- Increase in the autonomy of the consortium’s universities in the academic and financial sphere;
- Greater opportunities for the consortium’s universities to open up to the socio-economic world.
The project is carried out by 21 organisations:
- UNIMED (Italy, coordinator)
- University of Siena (Italy)
- Universy of Rome “La Sapienza” (Italy)
- University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (France)
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- University of Tunis (Tunisia)
- University of Tunis El Manar (Tunisia)
- University of Carthage (Tunisia)
- University of Sousse (Tunisia)
- University of Sfax (Tunisia)
- University of Gabès (Tunisia)
- University of the Manouba (Tunisia)
- University of Monastir (Tunisia)
- Virtual University of Tunis (Tunisia)
- University of Kairouan (Tunisia)
- University of Gafsa (Tunisia)
- University of Jendouba (Tunisia)
- University of Ez-zitouna (Tunisia)
- Ministry of Education and Scientific Research (Tunisia)
- Tunisian Quality Insurance and Evaluation Agency (Tunisia)
- CESIE (Italy)